Sunday, December 5, 2010

Losing You.

Two years ago, in November,
I walked through the door of my house,
I was in a cheerful mood,
I planned to see you that night.

I could feel something strange in the room,
A panicked atmosphere clinging to the air,
The hearthfire sparked and cracked
like a gunshot piercing through the world.

My mother took my arm, and sat me on the couch,
And then, she told me something so horrifying
At first, all I could do was laugh,
A highpitched, false note that seemed so distant from me.

I was refusing to believe that something
So tragic could happen to someone so dear to me,
But a tear escaped and edged down my cheek,
Like a black, winding stream tainted with mascara.

And the gates holding back the flood flew open,
And I struggled to breath between the sobs
That tore the very being from inside of me
And left it raw and red for everyone's eyes.

She told me that you had been crossing the road,
And there had been no cars in sight,
Just that your heart had stopped beating and you fell
And time had not stood still, and you did not speak.

A piece of happiness fled from me that day,
It ripped itself right from my core,
The wound never healed and now lies open,
And has since my rock crumbled away.

No comments:

Post a Comment